Helpdesk Baruch College

Ask How-To Geek: Altering Shortcut Icons, Missing Volume Indicators, and Sharing URLs with Smartphones

Every week we dip right into our visitor mailbag as well as answer your computer as well as tech-related concerns. This week we’re checking out exchanging documents icons, missing quantity symbols, as well as sending links to your smart device.

Compare Similar Documents with Unique Icons

Beloved How-To Geek,

Is it possible to choose the faster way picture for a file? I have 3 Excel documents which have shortcuts on my desktop computer, Budget 2010, Budget 2011 as well as Budget 2012. This obtains complicated as both the name of the files as well as the faster way photo is the same. I do not intend to change the name of the data, I wish to alter the picture.

Several Files in Miami

Dear Multiple Files,

Absolutely, you can simply enter into the shortcut residential properties by right-clicking on it. Then locate the Change Icon switch, and select a different symbol. You can also download icons, save them someplace, and afterwards utilize those for the shortcut.

We’ve done the same thing for some highly utilized yet similarly called documents.

Replacing a Missing System Tray Icon

Beloved How-To Geek,

The volume change icon vanished on my computer. I can still readjust the quantity with the multimedia switches on my computer key-board but there is no symbol in the tray! How do I get it back?

Seriously,

Missing Icons in Manitoba

Beloved Missing Icons,

Sometimes the system symbols disappear in action to various other variables on the computer system. It’s simple sufficient to get them back. Right click on your taskbar as well as click Properties. After that click the Taskbar tab in the menu that turns up. Halfway down the Taskbar choices food selection there is a Customize button in the Notification section. Click on that to toggle Notification Area icons on as well as off, including your missing volume symbol.

Sharing Links with Your Smartphone

Dear How-To Geek,

I locate inputting on my smartphone to be a genuine pain as well as the browser does not support book marking syncing. Exactly how can I easily send out book markings to my phone?

Sincerely,

Phone-Irritated in Phoenix

Dear Phone-Irritated,

You didn’t define which smartphone you’re making use of … yet that’s OK! We have a convenient tutorial that covers sharing web link in between prominent web internet browsers and also preferred phone os including iOS, Android, BlackBerry and also extra, right below. Beg that web link and you’ll have the ability to easily shuttle bus web links from your internet browser to your mobile phone; no pecking on a small touchscreen required.

Have a pressing technology inquiry? Fire us an e-mail at ask@howtogeek.com and also we’ll do our best to address your inquiry.

Exit mobile version