scalar email

Ask HTG: Legacy Keyboard Support, Disabling URL Warnings, and Linux Partitions in Windows

It’s that Ask HTG time of week once again where we dip right into our viewers mailbag and address your pushing tech concerns. This week we’re considering BIOS assistance for USB keyboards, disabling URL cautions in Office, as well as accessing Linux dividings in Windows.

BIOS USB Legacy Support for External USB Keyboards

Precious How-To Geek,

Recently a good friend of mine was utilizing my laptop computer as well as splashed some water over it, yet thankfully, just the keyboard obtained damaged.Instead of replacing it, I am thinking of getting an exterior key-board connected with USB, however I am unsure if it will certainly operate in the BIOS.

Many thanks,.
Keyboardless in California

Dear Keyboardless,

That’s an unfortunate dilemma to be in. We ‘d suggest, prior to devoting to only utilizing an exterior key-board, doing a fast search for a substitute keyboard initially. We simply did a fast search for replacement key-boards for the laptops around our workplace as well as the price varied from $19 to $38 for the numerous designs. Not a negative bargain to restore complete functionality.

All that said you should not have any issues with plugging in a USB key-board. The specific setting that matters in this instance is called “USB Legacy Support” which allows the BIOS to access USB keyboards early in the boot procedure. Many laptops will certainly have USB heritage assistance enabled merely due to the fact that it makes difficulty shooting a laptop computer so much simpler if you can plug in peripherals on the off possibility that the built-in input tools are the source of the issue.

If your laptop does not have USB heritage support you might be stuck forking over for a replacement. Don’t worry though, replacing most laptop key-boards ia as easy as unscrewing a screw or two, popping the keyboard up, and also unplugging a bow cable television.

Disabling URL Warning Messages in Microsoft Office

Precious How-To Geek,

How can I disable hyperlink caution messages in Microsoft Office products? I comprehend the security rationale. Nevertheless, these messages truly lower the energy of linking or embedding documents I have created. This is especially true now that I am getting up to speed with OneNote 2010. Can you assist?

Messages are usually something like the following:

Word 2003.
Opening up “course filename”

Hyperlinks can be harmful to your computer system as well as information. To shield your computer, click only those links from trusted sources. Do you want to continue?

OneNote 2010.
Microsoft Office has actually identified a potential safety issue.
This place may be hazardous.
path filename (note that there are NO quotation marks)

Hyperlinks can be damaging to your computer system as well as data. To shield your computer system, click only those hyperlinks from trusted sources. Do you intend to proceed?

I’m using Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (develop 7601), Office 2003 Professional, OneNote 2010 as well as Internet Explorer 9.

Thanks for your help!

Genuinely,.
Hyperlinking in Houston

Dear Hyperlinking,

We can most definitely understand your stress. Yes the cautions are necessary provided exactly how typically Office records are used to load wicked tools as well as ventures but if you’re a power customer it gets actual old actual quickly. Thankfully Microsoft understands this and you can discover a post on getting rid of the caution in their Knowledge Base below.

Checking Out Linux Partitions from Linux

Dear How-To Geek,

I’ve lately begun dabbling with a twin boot system running Windows 7 and also Ubuntu. Numerous times I discover myself back in Windows and also wanting I had accessibility to some data I left in Linux. Exists an easy method to mount my Linux dividers while in Windows in order to do some basic data searching?

Genuinely,.
Dual Booting in Dade

Dear Dual Booting,

You would not be the first person interested in snagging files off the Linux dividing while booted into home windows. All the far better for you, that suggests somebody else already did the effort. Have a look at our overview to making use of Ext2Explore to access your Linux dividers.

Have a pushing tech concern? Email us at ask@howtogeek.com and you simply could see your inquiry in a future Ask How-To Geek article.