Helpdesk Baruch College

Just how can You See a Font in a Document Even Though it is not Installed?

We all have a pretty good concept of the fonts that we do and also do not have set up on our computer systems, yet what is taking place when you obtain a Microsoft Word record that ‘display screens’ a font style you recognize is not mounted on your computer? Today’s SuperUser Q&A post aids clear things up for an overwhelmed reader.

Today’s Question & Answer session concerns us courtesy of SuperUser– a neighborhood of Stack Exchange, a community-driven grouping of Q&A website.

The Question

SuperUser visitor Rakesh Shewale needs to know exactly how he can see a font style displayed in a Microsoft Word file despite the fact that it is not installed on his computer system:

I do not have the Seravek typeface installed on my computer system, but my customer sent a Microsoft Word paper with the message established utilizing this font style. When I pick the text, it reveals the ‘right’ font name (Seravek).

I have searched in C: Windows Fonts and in C: Program Files (x86) Microsoft Office , but I can not locate an equivalent font style file (seravek.ttf) anywhere.

Can any individual assist me understand exactly how can I still see the font even though it is not installed on my computer system?

Exactly how can an individual see a typeface presented in a Microsoft Word file even though it is not set up on their computer?

The Answer

SuperUser contributor Andi Mohr has the solution for us:

If somebody sends you a Microsoft Word file using a typeface that is not set up on your computer as well as they do not embed it in the file, after that Microsoft Word will change the font you do not have (Seravek in your situation) with a default typeface you do have actually installed (possibly Calibri, Arial, or Times New Roman depending upon your setup).

Still, when you select the message and also check out the name of the font style being displayed, Microsoft Word will still claim Seravek, the name of the font you do not have.

Your alternatives are:

Have something to include in the description? Sound off in the comments. Want to read more responses from various other tech-savvy Stack Exchange users? Look into the full discussion thread below.

Exit mobile version