Helpdesk Baruch College

Where is the Custom Dictionary for Microsoft Word Located?

Building up a solid custom thesaurus in Microsoft Word takes a while as you include a handful of words at once, once you get it developed, it makes working on your documents a much more positive job. So what do you do when you require to re-install Windows and do not want to shed your customized thesaurus?

Today’s Question & Answer session concerns us courtesy of SuperUser– a community of Stack Exchange, a community-driven collection of Q&An internet site.

The Question

SuperUser visitor Shaqpad wants to know exactly how to find and also conserve the checklist of custom dictionary words in Microsoft Office:

I make use of Microsoft Office Proofing Tools, yet have actually encountered a problem now that I have to re-install Windows. After I re-install Windows, the custom-made checklist of words I developed in Office will certainly be gone. I am searching for a means to conserve my custom list to make sure that I can quickly include it back in to Office after re-installing Windows.

Where can I discover the checklist at?

Saving the checklist is absolutely far better than beginning with absolutely no once again, so is there a simple method to discover and also wait?

The Answer

SuperUser factors mkruzil as well as and31415 have the solution for us. First off, mkruzil:

When you add a word to the dictionary in Word 2010, it shows up in a text file right here:

C: Users %username% AppData Roaming Microsoft UProof CUSTOM.DIC

You can duplicate this data over to your new installation.

Complied with by the response from and31415:

The user name might not match the real folder name, and Windows can be installed in a various drive. You can utilize this rather:

%AppData% Microsoft UProof CUSTOM.DIC

The next time you have to re-install Windows, you will certainly have the ability to save and also re-use your personalized dictionary with ease since you know where to look!

Have something to contribute to the description? Sound off in the comments. Intend to learn more answers from various other tech-savvy Stack Exchange customers? Take a look at the full discussion string right here.

Exit mobile version