scalar email

Ask HTG: Bulk Editing Office Doc Properties, Port Forwarding, and Remote Controlling Android

Once a week we round up a few of the visitor questions we’ve answered to show to every person. Today we’re checking out exactly how to bulk edit the authorship on Microsoft Office docs, set up port forwarding on your router, and also remote your Android phone.

Mass Editing the Authorship of Microsoft Office Documents

Beloved How-To Geek,

I have an MS Office issue that’s been pestering me given that forever. The Office computer I’m utilizing was when a co-workers, and also as the first individual he’s the “Author” of all the documents. I require to change this. I’ve got countless Office documents, and have actually handled to alter the Author name of around 1/8 of these files to reflect my name … but doing it manually is stressful.

Is there a means to transform the default Author Name of data, and also to use this change to all documents in a folder, the Computer and so on ??

Sincerely,

Office Editing in Edison

Dear Office Editing,

The initial thing you intend to do, if you have not done so already, is to visit Word Options– > Popular– > Personalize Your Copy of Microsoft Office and alter the default Author name to your name to guarantee future documents are classified right.

When it comes to modifying the old records, you may intend to look into this one-trick-pony application called Microsoft Word Document Properties from Easy HR. We tested it out in your place and also it works like a champ for the basic home editing you intend to do. Never mind submitting the details block on the web page; you can simply click the download link as well as get hold of the documents. Install it, search for words documents within the directory you define, and then you can transform the Author to your name. We ‘d extremely recommend duplicating a dozen or more documents to an examination directory site prior to running it on your entire document collection.

Configure Your Router for Port Forwarding

Dear How-To Geek,

My brand-new network configuration included a router (for the first time! I recognize, I understand! I’m late to the celebration) and also evidently to get a few of my applications to function ideal I need to set up port forwarding. The only point is I do not actually understand what the hell I’m doing. Is port forwarding like getting your mail forwarded? Is that a terrible example? Assist!

Port Baffled in Buffalo

Dear Port Baffled,

It’s not a negative example in all. Port forwarding is simply where your router takes an information stream (whether appearing of your network or into it) as well as connects it to a new port number. It’s a little switch-a-roo that happens inside the router to keep every little thing running efficiently even though the ports you’re showing to the world and also the ports you’re using inside your network aren’t the very same. We’ve really got an extensive overview describing port forwarding and also exactly how to configure your router to take advantage of port forwarding here. It should address all your questions and aid you get your router running the method you want it to.

Remote Control An Android Device

Dear How-To Geek,

This could be a First World Problem however it’s the problem I’ve obtained. I do not such as damaging my concentration to get my Android phone in order to react to texts (we utilize them a whole lot in my work) or various other phone-based tasks. I such as staying concentrated on the display before me! Exactly how can I push-button control and also remote view my Android phone? I would certainly such as to have the ability to plug it in to the computer system to charge and all at once remote control is with my computer mouse and also keyboard.

Regards,

Android Tweaking in Texas

Dear Android Tweaking,

It could be a really certain trouble to have yet it’s a problem we have a solution for (as well as it’s something we do around the office for specifically the factors you define: focus as well as simplicity of use with a key-board and mouse). We use the Android SDK plus Java-based Android Screencast. It’s not precisely one of the most user-friendly system to configuration however it is actually simple to utilize when you’ve done the first arrangement. Have a look at our overview here.

Have a pushing technology question? Fire us an email at ask@howtogeek.com and we’ll do our best to help.