scalar email

What You Said: Giving an Old Laptop a New Life

Earlier today we asked you to share your suggestions and also methods for breathing life into an old laptop computer, currently we’re back to share your junk-bin sparing techniques.

A lot of you functioned to maintain old laptop computers from obtaining ditched by cleaning them off and contributing them. Mark composes:

My associates & buddies give me their old computers when they get a new one. So I dismantle, tidy, set up an opsys, and get internet working. I also upgrade memory, cordless, and so on from my components bin.
After that I provide it to a poor individual who requires a computer system. Normally a solitary functioning mom with kids.

I likewise do the same with old desktop computers too. They really value them and It provides me the satisfaction of reanimating an old computer.

Wbrown does the exact same:

Donate it by means of the local Lion’s Club for usage by family members of sight-challenged children.
Always a brand-new HDD, max memory, clean as well as dust.
Awesome method to aid someone, as well as recognize it will be appreciated.

EchoGecko shares a genuine shopping list of his previous projects:

Here are a couple of things I have actually done

– Picture Frame Computer.
-14 ″ LCD, P3 CPU, 128 MB Ram, 10GB HD runs young puppy linux + WiFi chauffeurs and is setup to ryscn to a folder on my regional fileserver, Cost $10 photo structure, power use, 19-21 watts

– HP Pavilion with 1.7 Ghz PM CPU, 17 ″ LCD, 20 GB IDE HD, DVD-RW, 2 GB Ram, Wifi N upgrade, Wall Mount in Picture Frame style, + RF remote user interface, and analog radio transceiver set up, XBMCbuntu mounted, configuration to work as an image frame, as well as display weather, entered neighborhood radio streams + Pandora, and acts as a HTPC for flicks as well as streaming, acts as an electronic radio that can transmit on FM to my radios in your house:

* Cost concerning $60 for Wifi N, Picture Frame, RF remote, and also radio transceiver. may update to a tiny 32 GB ssd for immediate on, yet not likely.
* Power, still picture frame setting 19 watts, HTPC setting 21-25 watts, Radio setting 20 watts
* This system is implied for use by my mom, who has some difficulty using computer systems as a whole, maybe its the remote yet she enjoys this, primarily due to the radio features i had included.
* No it does not due 1080p, however its only linked to a 720p display so it does not need to.

-FireWall/Gateway. Converted a portal 405ROG with 1.4 GHz PM CPU 256 Megabytes Ram, no lcd, no key-board, no cd/dvd/floppy, 10 GB HD, added NIC ($3 Ebay) to be a untangled gateway, works great running for nearly 2 years -10 -16 watts

-FileServer, (no more in operation) utilized the Gateway 405ROG as a fundamental fileserver, rates at 7-9 MBps as a result of minimal 10/100 NIC, turned into firewall/gateway

-Flashing Station, Converted one more Gateway 405ROG with LCD screen to a blinking terminal to test/upgrade wifi routers to use DD-WRT, in use for practically 5 years.

Beg the initial remark string for loads of various other recommendations for squeezing more life out of your aging hardware. Have a tip to share? It’s not too late to sign up with the discussion.